What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?

Prevention is the most important step. Taking correct safety precautions will lower your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Pierre.

Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:

  • Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a large source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours running in the small space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
  • Don’t use ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when operated right but can make carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
  • Don’t use a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
  • Have your chimney inspected by a pro. This verifies chimneys and vents are clear and connected correctly.
  • Confirm gas appliances are running properly, especially your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by requesting regular furnace maintenance with Peitz Service Experts.