Prevention is the most important step. Taking correct safety precautions will lower your likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning in Pierre.
Here are a few steps you can take to protect your family:
- Idle your car outside your garage. Cars are a large source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours running in the small space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t use ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when operated right but can make carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t use a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a pro. This verifies chimneys and vents are clear and connected correctly.
- Confirm gas appliances are running properly, especially your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by requesting regular furnace maintenance with Peitz Service Experts.