Guidebook to Mini-Split Air Conditioners: What They Are and How They Work
The majority of homeowners are most familiar with central air conditioners.
Mini-split systems are a kind of ductless heating and cooling. Rather than providing conditioned air to the full home via a network of air ducts, they heat and cool a lone room at a time. This provides more targeted temperature control, enhancing comfort and energy efficiency.
How Do Mini-Split Air Conditioners Work?
Mini-splits most closely resemble heat pumps in the way they cool. Both kinds of equipment deliver electric cooling, the same as an air conditioner. This requires using refrigerant to draw out heat from within a building and discharging that warm air outside. Then, a reversing valve enables the system to work backward, heating your residence in the winter by removing heat from outdoor air and adding it inside.
The largest contrast between mini-splits and heat pumps is that mini-split systems don’t have to have ductwork. Instead, the indoor unit has a built-in air handler, which is installed on the wall or ceiling in the room you are looking to heat and cool. Copper tubes, wiring and a condensate drain line join to an outdoor condensing unit through a narrow conduit in the wall. This exterior component looks similar to an air conditioner or heat pump condenser.
Several indoor units can connect to one outdoor condenser, permitting you to heat and cool your entire residence with this system if if you want. This set-up also makes zoning feasible, a highly popular feature that permits you to customize when, where and how much you heat and cool distinct rooms.
Is a Ductless Mini-Split Right for My Residence?
Mini-splits are an excellent choice for the majority of households. Consider these reasons why getting a ductless mini-split might be a smart choice for you:
- You can heat and cool a complete home that has no existing ductwork.
- It’s possible to shut off the heat and air conditioning in empty spaces to save on your heating and cooling bills.
- Mini-splits provide supplementary heating and cooling for areas that are hard to keep comfortable.
- Use a ductless system to heat and cool a residence addition or sunroom without the expense of putting in ductwork or the hassle of relying on window AC units.
- Mini split systems are the perfect choice for spaces where traditional ducts is impractical. A few examples are historic homes, tiny homes, temperature controlled sheds or workshops, or garage conversions.
What are the Perks of a Mini-Split System?
Ductless mini-splits are very efficient systems, but you might still be wondering why you would want to choose it over a common furnace and air conditioner. Here’s why more Philadelphia homeowners are using ductless mini-splits:
- Avoid the drawbacks of ductwork: By giving heated and cooled air directly, air doesn’t move through cracked air ducts on its way to every room. This can save you nearly 30 percent on your heating and cooling bills. Plus, if your residence doesn’t already have ducts, you avoid the annoyance and price that comes with adding them.
- Choose the ideal temperature for each room: With zoned heating and cooling from a ductless mini-split, you can keep an office cool while maintaining a comfortable nursery—all while maximizing energy efficiency.
- Use less money and energy by not heating and cooling vacant areas: Closing supply registers in a central HVAC system can throw it off kilter, putting stress on the equipment and canceling any potential savings. But with individual air handlers in each room, you can heat and cool particular areas only when you need them.
Rely on Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning to Install Your Mini-Split Air Conditioner
Much like traditional HVAC systems, ductless mini-splits need meticulous sizing and Expert installation to provide the most efficient performance. Our skilled mini split installers in Philadelphia can help you figure out if a mini-split system will match your needs. We can then help you with determining the precise equipment size and model to make your home as comfortable and energy-efficient as possible.
For extra info, or to get an appointment, call Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning at 215-259-5850. You can also schedule an appointment online.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely comfy in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems provide a convenient way to manage the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Pick Out an Effective HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading