Tips to Safely Heat Your Home This Winter
Each year over 20,000 people end up in the hospital because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning is here with a few tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and change the batteries annually.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, a minimum of three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before lighting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces unattended. Power off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When investing in a new space heater, purchase a model that turns off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Never use a stove to heat your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned yearly.
The ultimate thing you can do for your heating equipment is to ensure it’s not only all set to keep your home warm all winter but also safe, is to set-up your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Stallion Heating and Air Conditioning will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 215-259-5850 today and learn how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely comfy in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems provide a convenient way to manage the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing... Continue reading
Eight Frequent Heating Fallacies Debunked
There are plenty of myths out there about home heating that lead to confusion and inefficient furnace operation. It’s time to get the facts out there. Here, the heating specialists at Service Experts Heating, Air Conditioning & Plumbing reveal the truth behind the eight most common myths to... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading