Annually, over 20,000 people visit the emergency room because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is known as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning climbs during the heating months when people are trying to keep their homes heated. To help keep your family safe, Peitz Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with a couple tips to safety heat your home.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries annually.
- Keep all potential sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to ensure the chimney damper is open and unclogged.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Turn off space heaters and ensure all embers in the fireplace are totally extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be situated on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and furbabies away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, buy a model that turns off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Don’t use a stove to warm your home.
- Have fireplaces, chimneys, gas or oil furnaces, and coal and wood stoves professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to ensure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your furnace tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Peitz Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning will check to be sure your furnace is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 605-223-0307 today and find out how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.