As fall approaches, now is a great time to begin thinking about your residence’s carbon monoxide detectors. When heating season starts, the Centers for Disease Control says the likelihood of carbon monoxide poisoning increases.
Carbon monoxide is a harmful gas that’s colorless, odorless and tasteless. It’s a result of combustion your gas furnace uses to add warmth to your house. When your heater is working as it should, the gas is correctly pushed outside of your residence. Fractures in your furnace’s heat exchanger or flue pipes can cause carbon monoxide to seep into your home, where ongoing exposure can be deadly.
Despite the fact carbon monoxide poisoning is escapable, the CDC says at least 430 people in the U.S. are killed by it each year. And another approximately 50,000 people visit the ER because of related issues, such as headaches, dizziness and vomiting.
The best ways you can protect your home is by scheduling annual maintenance of all gas, oil, or wood burning appliances, like your furnace and water heater, and installing a carbon monoxide detector. From plug-in to smart carbon monoxide detectors, there’s a solution on the market to work for your home and budget.
H2: Smart Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Smart carbon monoxide detectors, such as the Nest carbon monoxide detector, make it simple to remain in control for keeping your home safe. They’re usually offered as duo carbon monoxide and smoke detectors and can typically be used with other smart home devices via Wi-Fi.
Here are a few other advantages of installing them in your residence:
- Signals that there’s a problem through voice notifications, plus alerts on your phone.
- Locates the problem room, such as the kitchen or basement.
- Can be shut off from your phone.
- Automatically reviews its sensors and batteries and reveals findings through a useful report on your phone.
- Notifies you of low batteries with an alert on your phone, not an annoying sound in the middle of the night.
- Lasts up to 10 years, depending on the kind.
The only problem with having Wi-Fi carbon monoxide detectors is the price tag. These detectors are sometimes much higher-priced than their plug-in or battery-powered counterparts. But they also offer many useful and valuable features you won’t find in a non-smart device.
When you’re getting a new device, it’s crucial to learn where to put carbon monoxide detectors. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends installing a carbon monoxide detector approximately five feet above the floor or on the ceiling. This is due to the fact carbon monoxide can rise with heated air.
We encourage having a detector on each floor of your residence, including outside bedrooms. You’ll want to make sure the alarm will wake you up.
Battery-Powered and Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Plug-in and battery-powered carbon monoxide detectors are the most economical. A couple of the most popular types are Kidde carbon monoxide detectors and First Alert carbon monoxide detectors.
But they also have limited features that aren’t compatible with your phone or smart home devices. They usually have a digital display and test button, which you’ll have to remember to use.
The National Fire Protection Association recommends testing hardwired carbon monoxide alarms every month. Battery-powered detectors that don’t plug in should be tested weekly. If you’re concerned about how to test for carbon monoxide, it’s fairly easy. Depress the button to ensure your detector is functioning.
If your detector is hardwired, make sure to swap the backup battery at least once a year. If it’s battery-powered, you’ll want to change it once a month to avoid the dreaded chirp in the middle of the night.
If you’re getting noise or your carbon monoxide detector is beeping regularly, it often indicates it has a low battery. Or, it’s getting to the end of its life. How long carbon monoxide detectors work depends on the brand you have. Most often, it’s between 5–10 years, but make sure to check instructions from your specific manufacturer.
If you’re wondering why your carbon monoxide detector is beeping, it’s frequently due to the fact it’s picking up dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide. If your carbon monoxide detector is going off with continuous, loud beeping, leave your home right away and call 911.
Now is a great time to check your carbon monoxide detector is working normally before heating season begins. If you need to set up furnace maintenance or you’re interested in upgrading to smart carbon monoxide detectors, the Experts at Peitz Service Experts can help. Contact us at 605-223-0307 today and we’ll help you select the perfect carbon monoxide detector for your home.