When bad weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Peitz Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to go back outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Peitz Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Pierre, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Pierre or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at or schedule an appointment with Peitz Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.