When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can likely provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Peitz Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the severe weather event.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return outside, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Peitz Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Pierre, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Pierre or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 605-223-0307 or schedule an appointment with Peitz Service Experts through our online scheduler.