Why Is My Air Conditioner Making A Noise?
Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There’s a strong probability there’s something wrong with your system. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—issues later. We’re going to help you figure out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to change it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling – Gurgling normally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can’t determine where the noise is coming from, that’s alright. An expert can help determine where this noise is occurring.
- Crackling – Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house.
- Hissing – Hissing sounds coming from your AC can come from a leaky refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor.
- Buzzing – Buzzing is likely an electrical issue.
- Clicking – Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned.
- Pulsating – Pulsating can come from a loose part.
- Loud Noise – A loud noise from your outside unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler.
- Humming – Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a busted relay switch. Check out our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep running my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It’s difficult to answer this question without examining your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there’s something wrong with your unit. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it’s better to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please schedule online for a free, in-home consultation.
Zoning Systems: Customized Comfort in Every Room
Central heating and cooling systems have radically changed home comfort and made it possible to stay completely comfy in any season or climate. However, while centralized systems provide a convenient way to manage the temperature, they sometimes fall short when it comes to evenly distributing... Continue reading
Eight Ways to Upgrade Your HVAC System
During the chilly days and nights in the U.S., there’s no better way to improve your home’s comfort than with a few effective upgrades. It’s not simply about keeping the house toasty warm as the snow begins to fall—it’s about maximizing efficiency and improving the very air you breathe.... Continue reading
How to Pick Out an Effective HVAC System
When considering keeping your home comfortable year-round, nothing is more critical than choosing the right heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system. This determination impacts your daily comfort, monthly utility bills and general home efficiency. Then again, with so many system... Continue reading