Hearing weird noises when your air conditioner is running? There's likely something wrong with your system. If you ignore it, it could lead to major—and expensive—issues eventually. We're going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to correct it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling normally indicates a complication with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A professional can help verify where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could result from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can produce noise inside your house. Browse our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be caused by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Look through our hissing noise guide for more information.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A clear noise from your outdoor unit can signal an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for supplementary information.
- Humming - Humming can be related to fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Head to our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find further information about frequent air conditioning problems on energy.gov
Should I keep using my system when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
Usually, we recommend turning the unit off and contacting a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's best to get problems fixed right away. Calling a professional could help lower future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.