Spring is enjoyable for a couple reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your power bill is usually at its most economical. That’s because you’re not utilizing your furnace or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Pierre and keeping bills lower.
1. Book Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and trim costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy expenses down.
If your HVAC equipment has had better days, spring is a smart time to update it. The energy-saving options in updated AC systems is a big plus in keeping your utility bill down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Understanding how to effectively work your thermostat is the smartest way to lower energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the smaller the difference between exterior temperatures and inside temperatures, the cheaper your energy cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty residence.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your Space
You can try a few other approaches to help keep your residence comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise in the summer, which drives cool air upward. This moves cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house cooler by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny spaces.
4. Consider Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you worry about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats figure out your schedule and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save on your bills. You can also change the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy bills down. If you decide it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 605-223-0307 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the correct fit for your house. And as usual, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.