Spring is enjoyable for a couple reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can open up windows for outdoor air and your power bill is generally at its most economical. That’s because you’re not utilizing your furnace or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are some ideas for saving energy in Pierre and keeping costs lower.
1. Schedule Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it run more efficiently and trim costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep utility charges low.
If your cooling equipment has had better days, spring is a smart time to update it. The energy-saving options in updated AC systems is a huge benefit for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Turn to Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours each day.
Understanding how to efficiently work your thermostat is the best way to reduce energy expenses in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the less significant the difference between exterior temperatures and inside temperatures, the smaller your energy cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty residence.
3. Try Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can take advantage of a few other methods to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which drives cool air upward. This moves cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds shut—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it passes through windows. Keep your house cooler by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny spaces.
4. Think About Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your routine and change the temp when you’re not around to help you save money. You can also change the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy charges down. If you decide it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, call our team at 605-223-0307 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the correct fit for your home. And as usual, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.